WAYS TO REDUCE, REUSE AND RECYCLE
We need to do more to minimise waste, whether that’s recycling, reusing or remaking stuff from things that already exist.
A new study shows that only 9% of the 92.8bn tonnes of minerals, fossil fuels, metals and biomass that enter the economy every year are re-used!
Even worse, global use of materials is accelerating, having more than tripled since 1970 and could double again by 2050.
We need to re think how we buy and use packaging and especially with plastics….here are some tips
This is where the concept of a circular economy comes in. This is all about keeping the stuff we’ve already got in use for as long as possible, rather than simply chucking it into landfill when we think it’s done.
“reduce, reuse, recycle”.
It’s not always easy to incorporate this into your lifestyle but if you can try even a couple of these then it will make an actual difference and help the global problem.
REUSE – CLIFFE HOUSE ORGANICS MAIN MANTRA
- Find new ways to use old packaging: Our Soy Tins – they can be reused as a container for dry foods and other loose items. Other options include cardboard boxes and other packaging materials you receive your online shopping in.
- Plastic carrier bags – Try and make an effort to reuse these rather than grabbing a new plastic bag everytime you nip to the shop.
- Products made from recycled materials – support brands that re-use ingredients or have packaging with recycled materials – like our enamel Soy Mugs or Aluminium bottles.
Clothing – Don’t just throw something away if it gets a little rip or tear. Try and repair them or cover up.
- Take out –If you haven’t already, a reusable coffee cup and water bottle are brilliant every day staples. If you get given plastic containers try and reuse these or ask them if they have anything more recyclable!
- Junk mail – Get a “No Junk Mail” sign for your letterbox to avoid getting wasteful and unwanted post
- Buy items in bulk or refillable containers – this helps minimise packaging
- Do your research - every council has different standards and terminology in terms of what they’re able to recycle. If in doubt, contact your local council and request further info.
- Empty and rinse – be sure to remove any residual food / product waste before recycling to prevent cross-contamination of recyclable materials
- Compost – if possible, try to compost any food waste rather than throw it away.
- Buy sustainable – Buy and support from businesses that genuinely try and make an effort to offer more sustainable packaging.
We are trying to make it possible for people to have luxury quality but that isn’t going to add to the massive waste problem we have not only in the UK but around the world. Supporting brands and making small changes at home will really start to make a difference and become the norm if everyone tries even just a little!
All our candles & diffusers can be easily washed and with warm water a reused! There is a infinite number of things you can do to reuse this packaging and we would love to see what you come up with! Tag us or send us an email and let us know so we can share with everyone!